University Credit Union wants you to remember that cyber threats also exist at home, at work, and at school. As we begin to replace our bathing suits and beach towels with backpacks and binders, now is the time to review some tips on how to prepare for Back-to-School season:
Update your laptop’s security features
- Whether you just bought a new computer or use a hand-me-down laptop, be sure to update your security features as soon as a new version is available.
- Do not wait weeks after you receive the ‘New Update’ notification to update your laptop. Updates include patches to your system that help close known vulnerabilities and improve your system's functionality. Waiting to update your laptop puts your data and files at greater risk of being compromised.
Create a positive digital image of yourself
- The Golden Rule applies online as well. ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all’ – If you wouldn’t say it to someone in person, don’t say it on social media.
- Once content is posted online, it can never be completely erased. Even if you delete the post, the internet is forever. Negative things you post now could affect your professional and personal relationships later.
Stay safe when buying school supplies online
- Only buy school supplies from websites you trust and that are secure (e.g. using 'https://' sites) – credit card fraudsters do not rest just because it is back-to-school season.
- Avoid phishing scams when opening emails advertising back-to-school deals by hovering over links to ensure the URL connects to the correct website and verifying the message is sent from a reputable organization.
Sign up for computer science and cybersecurity electives and clubs
- Universities and colleges typically allow their students to make last-minute changes to their schedules in the first few weeks of the semester. Fill up some of your free time with available IT, computer science, or cyber-related elective courses this 2018-2019 school year. Be sure to check out all of the cyber clubs your campus has to offer as well!